If you spill a glass of water on your carpet, by all means, grab a towel and clean it up. If a pipe bursts in your wall or you experience severe flooding inside your home after a storm, beware of the urge to take on the restoration process by yourself.
Sure, DIY water restoration will save you money. Plus, the Internet and various television shows make housework look so easy! But the problem is that the people on these TV shows are professionals, most homeowners are not. There are certain things that should be left to professionals, and water restoration is definitely one of them.
Here’s a few reasons why:
Mold Removal is Tricky
Mold Removal is a tricky process. Not only is it dangerous if moldy and rotten materials are not handled with care, it’s also hard to tell where mold is actually growing. Some of the mold leftover from a recent flood may be visible, but much of it may be hidden from view. Mold can grow in many places not normally visible to the naked eye:
- Under carpets
- Inside walls
- On interior insulation
- Behind baseboard trim
- In window frames
- In attics, basements and crawl spaces
Just because all the water is gone does not mean that the mold left behind will dissipate over time. Instead, it can continue to spread and cause more problems down the line. Mold removal specialists are trained to spot the signs of mold growth and dispose of it properly.
Thorough Drying is Absolutely Necessary
One of the biggest mistakes that homeowners make when trying their hand at water removal and restoration is thinking that simply mopping up the visible water will do the trick. Once water has seeped into your walls, floors, and/or ceilings, it’s hard to dry with a towel or a mop. And while dehumidifiers will pull some moisture out of the air, they aren’t designed to dry things that have been soaked with water.
If you fail to completely dry an area out, water will make its way into unseen places and create the perfect environment for mold to grow and thrive. Professional water remediation specialists are trained and certified to completely clean up after and dry out areas that were previously under water.
If you live in an old home (typically those built prior to 1977), there is a chance that your walls, ceilings, and even flooring contain asbestos. Asbestos is dangerous if released into the air because the fibers it releases can damage the lungs and cause other health issues. The last thing a homeowner should do it begin cutting away water soaked portions of their home, releasing these dangerous fibers into the air.
Specialists will take great care to remove and dispose of materials that contain asbestos without exposing the entirety of your home to their harmful effects. If you believe your home has materials that contain asbestos, let your water damage specialist know beforehand.
Insurance coverage can be tricky when it comes to water damage cleanup and restoration. Even if you are covered, it can be a pain to work with the insurance company to obtain any reimbursement, and you don’t want to have to pay for the entire bill if you can avoid it. Your water damage specialist will work with your insurance company to see if you are covered and get you reimbursed for the work, all with far fewer headaches.
Have Water Problems?
Call the water damage specialists at SOS Cleaning and Restoration. Our 24/7 emergency service is always ready to take your calls! Call (952) 847-3404 or send us an email today.